1.08.2011

Sniffing cannolis at Little Italy San Gennaro festival

What a fortune! I was just arrived in New York (still struggling with jet leg) and I could experience one of the biggest and most revered religious outdoor festival in the United States, the Little Italy Feast of San Gennaro. During the eleven days of the feast - from the 16th to the 26th September 2010, the historic lower Manhattan neighborhood, which served as the first home in America for hundreds of thousands of Italian immigrants, is a blaze of red –white –green colors, all type of ethnic food delicacies, religious processions and colorful parades, free musical entertainment every day and charming restaurants and cafes. The fair also features the world-famous cannoli-eating competition, where the winner is the one who is able to eat more cannolis in 6 minutes (I will speak about it in my next post). Unfortunately I couldn’t assist to the event (I was still in Italy) but the pictures I took on the day of the Grand Procession (Sept the 25th) are “cannoli” oriented thus demonstrating how the Sicilian pastry is considered a “must” of the Italian gastronomic tradition and a favorite among the desserts offered at the festival and in the Italian pastry shops located in this area. As I had to decide the subject of my first food story, my next class assignment, the San Gennaro Feast was for me a sort of revelation: it was clear I had to investigate upon cannolis and find out where to find the best Sicilian pastries in New York City.















No comments:

Post a Comment