1.20.2011

Cooking assignments! My first savory tart with zucchini

Again class assignements. This time is not about writing, it is about cooking! Yes, I'm doing a course of basic cooking (http://www.peccatidigola.info/) and our first lesson was about sauces, as a key ingredient of many recipes. We learnt to make besciamel and to use it in savory tarts, souffles etc.  My homework was trying to copy the fabolous  zucchini tart  my teacher Gabriella prepared at the class, and I have to say, mine was even better! Only because the teacher's one was so "perfect", while the one I made has those little signs of unexperience that makes it a little bit more roughly homemade...To be honest I have to tell I also tried to make my first cheese soufflé and although the taste was good, something went wrong with the baking procedure and as soon as I took it out of the oven it suddenly deflated. My teacher  told me it could be my oven not working properly or the fact that I used a casserole too big that didn't help the soufflé to inflate well. So here you have the recipe and the pictures of the zucchini tart, while the image of my  failed soufflé will remain in my camera (sigh).
Zucchini tart

(for six people. The recipe is taken from my class cookbook written by Roberta Molani)

300 g brisé dough
300 g Mornay sauce (without cream)
1/2 kg zucchini cooked in butter with chopped garlic and parsley

First make the Brisé dough with

300 g flour (I used 200 g white flour and 100 g whole wheat flour)
150 g butter
salt
70 g cold water

Sift flour and add a good pinch of salt and cold butter in pieces. Work the butter and the flour with your fingertips till you obtain a compound similar to grated Parmesan. Bind with cold water working the dough as little as possible in order to avoid the butter to get too hot. Cover with a protective film and put in the fridge to cool for at least 20 minutes.

Prepare the Mornay sauce with

50 g + 50 g butter
50 g flour
1/2 l milk
50 g greted Parmesan

The Mornay sauce is a just made besciamel sauce added with 50 g butter, 50 g grated Parmesan and 50 g liquid cream (I didn't use the cream to make it lighter).
To make  besciamel you have to start making a blond roux: melt 50 g butter in a kettle with a deep bottom and add 50 g four stirring with a whisk for 3-4 minutes over a low flame till the compound will smell of biscuit and get "blond". At this point add the room-temperature milk all together always stirring with the whisk bringing the sauce to the boil. Add salt, pepper and a touch of nutmeg. When the besciamel starts boiling, cook at the lowest flame covering the kettle for at least 10 minutes.

Now that you have the Mornay sauce and the dough you are ready to "build" your tart:

Roll the dough on a baking pan (greased with butter and sprinkled with grated hard bread). Riddle the bottom with a fork and bake in oven at 180 ˚C  for 20 minutes. In the meantime mix the hot cooked zucchini with the Mornay sauce. Take the pan out of the oven, fill it with the zucchini compound and put the pan again in the oven for 20 more minutes till the surface gets golden. Remove from oven and let it cool for 15 minutes. Serve lukewarm. Try it with a glass of Tocai friulano, better if young and fresh (one of the most traditional white wines from Friuli Venezia Giulia in Italy...read my book!).

No comments:

Post a Comment