3.03.2011

Treviso radicchio lasagne

I really like radicchio, especially the red variety from Treviso, NE of Italy. This type of leaf chicory is very versatile in the kitchen, as you can use it in many recipes, from pasta,  lasagne and risotto (I know I promised to make again the risotto with radicchio we did at the class, so delicious!) to meat, fish, veggie dishes and even in  some jams.  What I like is its delicate bitter taste, which gives a fine aroma to many dishes and well balance fat and sweet ingredients. I also like its bright red color.  After making my roasted beef with radicchio sauce, my "radicchio desire" was still unsatisfied and I had to buy some more. I decided to make a simple lasagne, whose recipe was suggested me by the lady who sold the radicchio at the market.  I suggest to match this dish with a fresh white wine with a "smooth heart" to contrast the bitterness of radicchio, like a well structured Chardonnay or Pinot Bianco, or a sparkling wine like a Prosecco. 
Treviso radicchio  lasagne 

(Makes 8 servings)

To make besciamel
70 g butter
70 g white flour
700 g cold  milk
salt
pepper
nutmeg

500 g Treviso radicchio cut into slices
lasagne noodles
100 g grated Parmigiano cheese
1 chopped onion
white wine
extravirgin olive oil

Let the onion brown in extravirgin olive oil  for some minutes. Add radicchio, sprinkle with white wine and let it dry over a medium flame. Prepare the besciamel sauce. First mix the butter (melted) with white flour until the compound gets "blond" (it is also called "blond roux"). Then add milk slowly and bring to boil while stirring. Add salt, pepper and a touch of grated nutmeg at the end.  Butter a  oven dish and put a first layer of lasagne noodles, besciamel, some of the cooked radicchio and sprinkle with grated Parmigiano. Add two more layers as before and a last one (forth) only with lasagne, besciamel and grated Parmigiano. Place some small knobs of butter on the surface. Cook in the oven at 180° C for 30 minutes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment