3.13.2011

Lesson n. 7: fish. Salmon fillet au gratin with mushrooms

I can't believe this was the last lesson of my cooking course. From now on it will be all practice, practice, practice!  To tell the truth  this lesson was the most difficult one. Fish is really a very interesting and big subject for the different kinds of sea species you can use in the kitchen. And is not only the sea, there are many other freshwater fishes as well. I have to say I am quite new to this wonderful world, as I tasted some fishes for the first time not so long ago, like swordfish, lobster, crab, octopus and some other types of shellfish. It has always been a great discovery and I really liked everything I tasted. I'm also quite new to raw fish and I enjoyed a lot of nice sushi when I was in New York. However, I still have some "taboos" and, for example,  I'm not sure if I will ever be ready for oysters...Fish is also a very hard job, especially when it comes to clean it. At the class we learnt how to clean a bass, a sole, a salmon fillet, a trout and some mussels.  It is really a surgeon duty!  indeed, my teacher used a real scalpel... (you can buy it at a chemist's).  I might be too much sensible, but the operation of tearing  roughly the skin off the sole from the tail to the head (leaving the sole eyeballs staring at me...) made my appetite suddenly disappear. Luckily, just for a moment, till the fish was cut into fillets and then into little pieces to flavor the wonderful Tagliolini Rialto my teacher cooked: a delicacy where the pasta tagliolini is dressed with a sauce made with all kinds of fishes. We also prepared some stuffed trouts, mussels au gratin and salmon fillets with mushrooms, that I made again at home. This dish is a very rich one, since the fatness of the salmon is enriched with a sauce made with wine, melted butter and cream. It is also very aromatic for the addition of  mushrooms and paprika. Therefore, you will need a fresh, structured and smooth wine to match it. I would suggest a Chardonnay,  fermented and aged in wood, a Pinot bianco riserva or a sparkling Spumante metodo classico.  Here the recipe.
Salmon fillet au gratin with mushrooms 

(the recipe is taken from my class cookbook written by Roberta Molani.  Makes 4 servings) 

4 Salmon fillets
60 g melted butter
1 chopped green onion
1 dl white wine
300 g mushrooms
1 pinch of paprika
chopped parsley
1/2 lemon juice
1 dl liquid cream
1 egg
salt
pepper

Clean the mushrooms and cut them into pieces. Melt 20 g of butter in a pan, fry the green onion for a few minutes, add mushrooms and cook for 7/8 minutes. Add salt, peeper and chopped parsley. Pour 40 g of melted butter in a oven dish and place in the salmon fillets, flavor with a pinch of paprika, salt, pepper, chopped parsley and the juice of 1/2 lemon. Add white wine and cook covered (a poché ) for about 6 minutes at 180° C. Remove from the oven. Cover the fillets with the mushrooms and the cream whipped with a egg yolk. Cook in the oven at 180° C au gratin for about 12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment