3.25.2011

Ginger Citrus Marmalade

As I grew up I began appreciating the bitter taste of some food, especially dark chocolate, coffee, tea, some types of legumes and vegetables, some spices and herbs, licorice, and citrus fruits. This helped me to reduce the amount of sugar in coffee and tea, and made me a voracious consumer of bitter oranges and citrus marmalade in general.  After the success of my recent Orange marmalade with amaretto bottom, that I finished almost immediately, I decided to try making a citrus marmalade myself. I followed the same procedure, I bought my favorite citrus fruits and thought to add a touch of ginger.  The result is a very fragrant marmalade with the bitter taste I like and a light spicy exotic aroma of ginger.  
Ginger Citrus Marmalade

(makes around 1 kg and 200 g of marmalade)

1 kg of citrus fruits: I put 2 Valencia oranges,  2/3  mandarins, 1 lime and 1 citron (if possible organic)
2 cm grated ginger root
1 kg white sugar
1 glass orange juice

Put 1 kg of citrus fruits in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Boil for about 15 minutes. Drain and place on a towel to dry for two hours. Cut the fruits into pieces or slices (with the skin) and put them in a pot with 1 kg of sugar, a glass of orange juice and the grated ginger root. Add some water if necessary. Boil for 45 minutes. Blend everything with an immersion blender. Put the jars in the oven at 100˚ C for 15 minutes. Before using the jars, wash them well and put them in the oven at 100˚ C for ten minutes.
Store in  a cool place, away from light, and consume within one year.

No comments:

Post a Comment