4.07.2011

Pork curry

This recipe was prepared  by my teacher Gabriella at my cooking class. I love curry and the exotic touch it  brings to the table.  Moreover, I like that you can play with colorful kitchenware and tablecloths to create an ethnic mood, adding some candles and Oriental music for a warmer atmosphere. I experimented chicken curry before, so I was pretty trained to try this variation with the pork. All went well and I and my family enjoyed this dish with a pilaf rice with spices that I will tell in my next post. To match this  tasty and fragrant meal, I suggest an aromatic or semiaromatic wine, with a good structure, freshness, complexity  and smoothness like a Sauvignon ,  a Gewurztraminer or a white blend  from both Alto Adige or Friuli  Venezia Giulia.  My choice was the Collio Bianco Col Disore Russiz Superiore, a very good white blend from the Collio Doc in my region (Friuli Venezia Giulia). It is composed of Pinot Bianco, (Tocai) Friulano, Sauvignon and Ribolla Gialla grapes,  fermented and aged (12 months) in large oak casks. Namaste (Indian greeting that means literally  "I bow to you")... and Buon appetito! 
Pork curry 

(the recipe is taken from my class cookbook written by Roberta Molani- makes 6 servings)

800 g pork loin cut into cubes of cm 2x2 
1 big onion 
1 clove of garlic
1 apple (granny smith type)
1 tablespoon white flour
1 teaspoon curry
2,5 dl milk
50 g finely chopped almonds
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt
pepper

Cook the almonds with the milk in a kettle and bring to boil. Remove from stove and leave in infusion for about 1 hour.  Brown the meat in a pan with 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. After browning remove the meat and leave it aside. Chop onion and garlic and let them brown lightly in the pan used for the meat, add the  apple (peeled and grated) and let it brown for a few minutes. Sprinkle with a tablespoon of white flour, add curry and two tablespoons of hot water and dip the meat into the curry sauce. Add salt and cook covered at low flame for about 1 hour. Strain the almond milk and pour it over meat. Continue cooking till the sauce get thick again. Adjust with salt and pepper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment